Fugitive Indian diamantaire and PNB loan fraud scam accused Mehul Choksi has been declared a ‘prohibited immigrant’ in Dominica, media reports on Thursday.
This new twist in Mehul Choksi’s case is likely to boost India’s effort to deport him back to the country to face trial in the PNB scam case.
According to the reports, an order issued by the Dominican Ministry of National Security and Home Affairs said, “in accordance to section 5(1)(f) of the Immigration and Passport Act Chapter 18:01 of the 2017 Revised laws of the Commonwealth of Dominica, you, Mr Mehul Chinubhai Choksi, are hereby declared a prohibited immigrant.”
The order, dated May 25, 2021, signed by Dominican Minister Rayburn Blackmoore said, “You are, therefore, not permitted to enter the Commonwealth of Dominica and the Chief of Police has been instructed to take all the necessary actions to have you repatriated.”
In 2018, days before the surface of PNB fraud, Mehul Choksi left the country on the behest of a medical emergency and has since then not returned back. India’s court has issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against him.
Ever since CBI has been trying to extradite him back to India.